License Reinstatement

Kansas City Driver’s License Reinstatement Lawyer

Missouri suspends or revokes driver’s licenses for a number of reasons. Some, such as failing to appear in court for certain moving violations, are usually easy to rectify. Others, such as five or ten-year denials resulting from multiple alcohol-related traffic offenses or suspensions for falling behind on child support payments, present more challenging legal issues that are best handled by an experiences license reinstatement lawyer. If your license is suspended or revoked, you can contact me at or 816-287-0172 for a free review of your case. It is likely that I can help restore your freedom to drive and, in some cases, I may be able to remove past violations from your driving record.

Point Suspension or Revocation

Unfortunately, many drivers pay tickets for what they think are inconsequential traffic violations only to be notified several days later that their licenses will be suspended or revoked as a result. Missouri will revoke your driving privilege for one year if you accumulate twelve points in twelve months, eighteen points in twenty four months, or  twelve  points in thirty six months. If you have a suspended or revoked drivers license, you’ll need to retake your full driving test in order to regain your freedom to drive. If you acquire eight points in eighteen months, Missouri will suspend your license. A first-time point suspension lasts thirty days. A second-time suspension lasts sixty days. A third or subsequent suspension lasts ninety days. Once you’ve been reinstated from either a point suspension or point revocation, you’ll need to carry Sr-22 insurance for two years in order to maintain your driver’s license.

Additional information regarding Missouri’s point system can be found on the Missouri Department of Revenue’s webpage. You can verify the number of points you’ll accrue for a given offense using Missouri Form 899.

Option I — Set Aside of Guilty Plea and Conviction

Often, in cases where a driver’s license is suspended for a recent conviction, it’s possible to withdraw the plea and have the conviction set aside, meaning the judge enters an order telling the Department of Revenue to pretend the conviction never occurred.  This removes the points from the driver’s record and reinstates the driver’s license as if the suspension or revocation had never occurred, so the driver does not have to carry Sr-22 insurance or retake the driver’s test. The decision to set aside a driver’s conviction is solely a matter of the judge’s discretion, so there’s never a guarantee regarding what any given judge will do, but for many drivers, filing a motion to set aside a conviction is a fast and cost effective way to get reinstated.

Option II — Limited Driving Privilege 

If you are unable to have points removed from your driving record and therefore unable to reinstate your license, it is still likely that you are eligible to obtain  a limited driving privilege, sometimes called a “hardship license” which will allow you to legally drive from home to work, school, etc, and back. In order to obtain a limited driving privilege when you’re suspended or revoked due to points, you’ll need to submit a written application to the Missouri Department of Revenue. If the application is granted, you’ll need to carry Sr-22 insurance for two years from the date of your suspension.  Some driver’s are ineligible for a limited driving privilege. Reasons a driver might be ineligible include:

(1) A  felony involving a vehicle within the past five years.

(2) An active failure to appear suspension.

(3) A active administrative alcohol suspension.

(4) An active suspension for failure to pay child support.

(5) An active suspension for failure to satisfy an accident.

(6) An active suspension for failure to file an accident report or provide proof of mandatory insurance.

(7) A suspension from another state.


This page is a work in progress and presents an incomplete discussion of Missouri law regarding drivers license reinstatement. We’re in the middle a a major site overhaul. Please don’t hesitate to use the contact form below to schedule a consultation or call me at 816-287-0172 to discuss your case in detail.